Reading The Guardian on a summer Sunday morning

Sometimes when I read the news, especially online, I look for examples of how standard written English is changing. This activity reminds me that teaching students that a well placed and meaningful "lolz," as in this example, is absolutely acceptable for particular audience and purpose. As equally important as knowing the difference between the words "definitely" and "defiantly."

I am currently working on developing some quizzes-stroke-drills that will reinforce such common error type things.

I certainly never thought I would be finding grammar and usage inspiration from hip hop artist Wiz Khalifa this morning. But, as I have been trying to remind myself lately, I really do need to listen to what is really going on out there.

"[. . .] to be an icon you just got to not be afraid. And I'm not afraid. Whatever I do, I do it because I want to do it and because it's completely, 100% me."


That's some serious knowledge about and from a serious generation of learners, thinkers, and doers.

No comments:

Post a Comment